Head Office, Langley, B.C
Focus on the Family Canada is a charitable organization dedicated to strengthening Canadian families through trusted, faith-based resources and programs, counselling, prayerful support, and much more. Our aim is to be the place Canadian families turn to for trusted help and encouragement! Due to the growth of our organization, we are currently recruiting for a new position of Intermediate Accountant. The position is based out of our head office in Langley, BC. For more information about us, please visit www.focusonthefamily.ca.
About the Position
In this position, reporting to the Vice President of Finance, the Intermediate Accountant will work as a member of our finance team. This role involves ensuring all financial transactions are accurately recorded and reported on monthly basis, tax filings are made on time, staff are compensated and vendors paid when due. It is essential that all of this activity be done in a manner that is consistent with our values of integrity, financial stewardship, excellence and teamwork. By ensuring the organization stewards its resources well, this individual will contribute significantly to the effective advancement of Focus on the Family Canada’s mission.
- Oversee the accounts payable process, reviewing all purchase orders, invoices and disbursements to ensure correct account distribution and supporting documentation is completed
- Ensure month-end closing procedures are completed and accurate financial statements, with supporting working papers, are prepared within timelines.
- Ensure accounting systems and procedures are in compliance with organizational policies, GAAP and applicable regulations
- Ensure all external reporting requirements are fulfilled
- Ensure complete and up-to-date operating procedures for all accounting and financial controls are in place and adhered to
- Ensuring the accurate and complete recording of transactions
- Complete tax returns and remittances monthly, and annually (as required)
- Ensure the Finance department meets all weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting deadlines
- Maintain contract documentation
- Prepare working papers for the annual audit
- Analyze revenues and costs on a monthly basis and identify important trends
- Reconcile of all bank and balance sheet accounts
- Oversee inventory control systems
- Perform monthly balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position/budget variances analysis
- Work with Leadership and Management teams to analyze data and generate business intelligence reports
- Cash flow projections
- Compile annual budget and supporting documentation
Payroll and Benefits Administration
- Prepare both full and part time payrolls twice a month
- Prepare and present payroll-related reports
- Maintain the payroll database
- Prepare, file and distribute annual T4s and other payroll related documents
- Conduct payroll orientation for new employees
- Complete and submit Records of Employment for employees going on leave or ending employment
- Investigate modifications to the payroll process to make it simpler and more efficient
- Administer health and RSP benefit plans
- Maintain accurate benefits monthly statistics
- Conduct benefit orientation for new employees and RSP employee registrations
- Maintain registration of our SUB plan with Service Canada
To be considered, you must be educated in accounting with a desire to grow and contribute to this dynamic, faith-based and highly service-driven organization. You are required to bring the following to this role:
- Your personal values align with the Christian family values and faith-based work of Focus on the Family Canada. You must be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, and maintain a courteous Christ-like attitude in dealing with people and adhere to our Christian Foundations and Standards
- At least 3 years’ experience working in full cycle accounting
- A strong understanding and experience in payroll
- The ability to accurately complete tax forms, legal filings and corporate documents.
- The ability to assess, analyze, and report on financial information
- Experience in business intelligence and the ability to create dashboards for business analysis will be considered an asset
- A proficiency in Excel
- The ability to learn and effectively use cloud-based accounting software
- A high attention to detail
- The ability to work independently and as a contributing member of the finance team
- The integrity to work in strict confidence – maintaining confidentiality on all matters
If you’re looking for a place where you can grow professionally and make a positive difference to a well-established, mission-driven organization, this may be the opportunity for you. Focus on the Family Canada offers competitive compensation and benefits and a supportive, friendly work environment. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume below or by email to email@example.com.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you!